25th April 2017 Women and Equalities Select committee, chaired by Maria Miller MP, published its report into access for disabled people to the built environment.
The committee’s key recommendations include:
- Government should give strategic leadership to ensure disabled people can access the built environment
- Government should make it easier for planning authorities to insist on access including not signing off local plans unless they address access to housing, public spaces and the wider built environment
- There should be more ambition in implementing accessible housing standards to at least the equivalent of the life time homes standard
- Increased provision of Changing Places toilets in public building should be a priority
- There should be a moratorium on shared space schemes until national guidelines are developed that guarantee access and safety for disabled people.
This fits with the priority given this year by the Cumbria NA to raise the issue of the lack of Changing Places across the County.